Wearhead village stands at the point where Burnhope Burn and Killhope Burn join to form the River Wear. It was once a lead mining village and the terminus for the Wear Valley Railway, with many shops and services but now the nearest shop and pubs are at St. John’s Chapel two miles away.

Between 1930 – 1937 Burnhope reservoir was built for the Sunderland and South Shields Waterboard. This area affords lovely, peaceful walks especially in May and June when the wading birds are nesting in the area.

Visits to Killhope North of England Lead Mining Museum (4 miles) and the Weardale Museum, Ireshopeburn (1 mile) are recommended.